Wine tastings, tours and holidays
We work with various Languedoc wineries and the team from Vin en Vacances to deliver fun and interesting days out in the Languedoc. Our tours and holidays have a strong wine component but also include “foodie” visits and cultural views of the Languedoc.
For groups of 4 + we can put together a tour to suit your specific interests – wine, wineries, medieval villages, antiques, seafood and more…
Château Les Carrasses Wine Discovery Day
- 9.30 am pick up from the Chateau
- Visit to Cibadiès – reception of the grapes, the machinery, the wine making process, overview of wine blending, see the bottling plant
- Barge trip with a virtual tour of the Languedoc wine tasting – a very civilised way to pass the rest of the morning!
- Lunch at the Salins de Gruissan – our favourite oyster venue with views out over the salt pans.
- Visit to Chateau Capitoul – how to taste wine (and a tasting of Capitoul wines of course), visit to the barrel room to learn about barrel ageing
135€ per person including the winery visits, barge trip, tastings, lunch and transport.
Wendy is a wine expert who had a wine school in the UK and her book on all of the different appellations of wine in the Languedoc will be launched in February 2014. She has been running tours in the Languedoc for 5 years now and is working with Château Les Carrasses to run private tours to wineries that are not normally open to the public. Marcel is a trained sommelier who runs wine tasting and wine matching evenings at various restaurants (including Michelin star restaurants) and is a great fun host.
You will get a real insider’s look at how wine is made by visiting different wineries with different scales and types of production. On the way you will learn about the vines, the terroir, the climate, the history of the Canal du Midi – while relaxing on a barge on the canal and tasting wine, the history of the Languedoc – in relation to wine, the history of our Chateau – in relation to wine… and any other questions about wine you wish to fire at them!
Saveurs du Sud
wine, wineries, oysters, salt, olives, antiques… 8th October – 12th October 2015
Run by Vin en Vacances and with accommodation at Château Les Carrasses, this tour will give you an overview of the best of Languedoc flavours – different winemaking techniques on a large and small scale, various appellations and terroirs, barrel ageing, how olive oil is produced, how sea-salt is produced, wine tasting on a barge, the famous Pezenas antiques market, fabulous lunches at wineries, a wine matching dinner at Château Les Carrasses…and a bit of free time at the pool or walking in the vines around the Château. Drink good wine, eat good food, discover the Languedoc and relax!
The programme (outline subject to change)
Thursday 8th October
- Check-in at Château Les Carrasses.
- Hosted wine and food matching dinner in the restaurant at Château Les Carrasses. 4 courses and 5 wines carefully chosen to go with each course, and a discussion to go with each
Friday 9th October
- Pick up at 9.30am, visit to Domaine Cibadiès to learn about how red, white and rosé wines are made.
- Wine tasting on a barge on the Canal du Midi – a virtual tour of the Languedoc via some of its best wines… and a lovely relaxing float along this heritage listed icon of the South of France
- Lunch at the “salins de Gruissan”, the salt plains, where fresh seafood is served on your plate… oysters, sea snails, prawns and salt-baked fish (speaking as a local this is one of THE best hidden addresses of the Languedoc). Optional visit to the salt museum.
- Winery visit at Château Capitoul – this winery is on a much smaller scale than Domaine Cibadiès and gives you the opportunity to learn about the barrel ageing part of the winemaking process. You will also get to taste some very exciting wines from La Clape with a wonderful view from the terrace
Saturday 10th October
- Lie in this morning! Pick up at 10am and visit to Château Combebelle at St. Chinian, one of our favourite villages of this region.
- Lunch is the speciality of this region – a home cooked Cassoulet with wine to match
- Wine tasting at Clos de Gravillas – discover one of our favourite white wines of the Languedoc plus a 100% Carignan a speciality of this area
- Discover the world of olives… eating olives, olive oil, the difference between black and green olives, why are French olives better than Spanish olives, what is the difference between first press, cold press, second press…
Sunday 11th October
The famous Pezenas brocante market takes place just twice a year and attracts people from all over Europe. Some 100 antique dealers and “brocanteurs” show their wares along the main street of Pezenas. You may want to drive here in a truck!
- Pick up at 8.30… sorry but an early start is necessary to get the best of this day!
- Free morning at Pézenas to explore the antiques, the historical centre of town with its impressive architecture or simply wander the shops and galleries.
- Pick up from Pézenas at 12.45, fabulous lunch and wine tasting at the superb Domaine St. Hilaire and return to Château.
Monday 12th October
- Late check out to make the most of the last day at the Château
995€ per person including 4 nights’ accommodation, 3 days of visits, a wine matching dinner, all lunches and an expert tour guide.
Accommodation is per person sharing – twin or double room in a luxurious apartment or villa, a twin or double room with private bathroom.